OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 14:25:54 UTC 2011

I figured out what I am going to do.

I like the idea of having a huge monitor, ie the U2711 or the U3011
because of their pixel area.  2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600 respectively
ON ONE SCREEN.

I do a lot of photo editing and a screen that size would allow me to
view images in a large way and still have room for editing tools around
them.  I find the 1680x1050 area on my 20 inch monitors limiting in this
respect.

However, I don't want to lose the handiness of dual monitor
functionality.  Its really nice that in KDE each monitor acts as its own
desktop.   I always have things running in my second monitor and its
extremely handy to have something open in a side monitor while working
on something in the main monitor, especially when cutting and pasting
between applications.

However, the U2711 and the U3011 are too large to have 2 such monitors
side by side.  The 2711 is about 25 inches wide and the 3011 is 27.5
inches wide.  My desk isn't wide enough to have 2 such monitors,
especially when I like one monitor to be directly in front of me and the
other monitor to be to the left, angled inward.

So... what I decided is to use one huge monitor for my main display and
a second, smaller monitor beside it, operating in a portrait
orientation.

The U3011 is 2560x1600.  I already have a 20" Dell that is 1680x1050 and
nearly as wide as the U3011 is high.

If I rotate the 20 inch monitor to portrait orientation, I get 1050 x
1680, the length of which nicely matches the U3011's height ( ie 1680
pixels high versus 1600 pixels high) and the pixel pitch is pretty
similar as well.

The other nice issue about having the side monitor in portrait mode is
that the applications I run on the side (text editors, email clients and
word processors) make better use of portrait orientation than they do
landscape orientation.

Thus the two monitors combined will give me 3610 x ~ 1600 pixels.

The Linux code to do this is here:

I'll put my order in for the U3011 tomorrow.