recording from a webcam, cheese, vlc

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 21:13:05 UTC 2011

On 3 April 2011 00:33, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> On 02/04/11 19:15, Ian Malone wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, with a bit of tweaking I'm able to record with ffmpeg, though
>> it's a pity this means I can't preview what's being recorded. However
>> I'm a bit greedy and if I have to use the command line to be able to
>> do this then I'd also like to figure out how to record synchronised
>> sound from different sources. Anyone able to suggest how that might be
>> done? Using sox and piping into ffmpeg doesn't work, video gets out of
>> sync (also I've got some sox related problem about different rates).
>>

>    "record with ffmpeg"   How do you do this? Is there an
>    instruction/documentation? I have a couple of IP cameras and would
>    like to be able to record a film clip from them occasionally.
>    Usually just view them with VLC.

This is with an attached webcam, not sure what you need for IP cameras:

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f video4linux2 -s 800x600 -r 15 -i
/dev/video0  -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre
lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 webcam.avi

I suspect you'd drop the audio codec options and then -acodec null
maybe. Of course if you're viewing them with VLC then you can just use
the record button you get with View|Advanced Controls enabled.

--
imalone