No sound over hdmi after suspend

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:08:25 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 13:00, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Fedora 14 with the following sound setup: I've got my television
> connected over hdmi using the onboard graphics card of the Core i3 550.
> Futhermore I have a sound system connected to my mainboard using TOSLINK.
>
> This works great right after the reboot. However after a suspend I have
> no sound on my television. There must be something wrong within one of
> the sound modules. I've also tried a vanilla 2.6.37 kernel, which hasn't
> resolved this issue :(.
>
> In order to get this fixed (and to get sound without rebooting time and
> again) I need to figure out which is the responsible module. My guess
> would be snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi.
>
> However I can't figure out how to reload this module. Neither rmmod nor
> modprobe seem to work and both claim that the module is still in use.
> The force parameter doesn't help :(.

Can't remember which one you have to start with, but you need to
unload pulse to do this. The system brings pulse back very quickly, so
to avoid messing about too much, in the past I've done:
$ rmmod -w MODNAME
which waits till the module is free and then in a separate window:
$ pulseaudio -k

I think you might be able to remove snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi straight
away, either that or do the rmmod -w on snd and then use modprobe -r
on snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi once snd is gone. However it might be that
stuff has got into a state where the error isn't contained in the
module and re-loading it doesn't fix things.

--
imalone