Changing Owner on a backup drive

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Apr 4 14:38:59 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 08:24 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 07:20 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 21:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>> Fedora 14
>>>
>>> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a  Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
>>> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
>>> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
>>> files are Linux files.
>>>
>>> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab  and is
>>> only readable by Michael.
>>>
>>> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
>>> permitted.
>>>

>> Chown can't be done as root?
> ----
> the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
> drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
> then Michael is the owner.

My goodness.....

It is a vfat formated drive.  It is being done with an entry in /etc/fstab.

Hasn't anyone heard of "mount options"?   Specifically,  uid=value and
gid=value   :-)

--
Schapiro's Explanation: The grass is always greener on the other side --
but that's because they use more manure. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段