recording from a webcam, cheese, vlc

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Apr 5 15:15:39 UTC 2011

On 04/04/11 16:10, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 19:12, Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  wrote:
>
>>        I have never found a scheme for recording a video stream from
>>        VLC, don't see "View|Advanced Controls" and a record setting. I
>>        may be missing something.
>>
> That's odd. Maybe a different version? I'm running
> vlc-1.1.7-1.fc13.x86_64, then selecting the advanced controls checkbox
> from the view drop-down menu next to 'help'. Another row of buttons
> then appears above the normal play controls.

        I had selected a simpler interface to save space, "Custom"
        instead of "Native" which did not display those buttons you
        refer to. Changing that I probably see what you see, still
        haven't been able to record a video stream from an IP camera or
        a web cam. Googling brings up stuff that is different than what
        I have here, probably due to an evolving application, and has
        not been of much help.

        It's not important enough to warrant a lot of effort, my
        interest was aroused by your earlier comment since I had looked
        into this before. I'll chip away at it when I have nothing
        better to do.

        Thanks.

        Bob