Installing F14 from DVD hangs

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:11:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 07:50 -0300, Burkhard Plache wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 19:29 -0300, Burkhard Plache wrote:

> >> The disk worked fine on another (older desktop) system.
> >> I will post the specifics of the computer where the problem occurred.
> >> - Burkhard
> >
> > So that would be a "no". The fact that it worked on a different system
> > is irrelevant unless the other system is identical, because the exact
> > set of RPMs to be installed can easily vary from one system to another
> > (differnet kernel architecture, different video card, etc.). Murphy's
> > Law dictates that your DVD could have a bad spot just where one system
> > reads it and the other doesn't.
> >
> > Run the disk check before looking any further.
> >
> > poc
>
> Where/how do I run the test? Option (5) in the menu?
> - Burkhard

>From the Installation Manual
(http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/ch-Boot-x86.html):

        ISO images have an SHA256 checksum embedded in them. To test the checksum integrity of an ISO image, at the installation boot prompt, type:

        linux mediacheck

You should also get a prompt to do this when booting from the install
DVD.

poc