FC13 PS2 Mouse/Keyboard stops working after a while

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Apr 6 17:39:04 UTC 2011

Ken Smith wrote:
> compdoc wrote:
>
>>> The problem is that I have some other hardware that does not work all
>>> that well after suspend/hibernate and so I can have either that hardware
>>> (M-Audio 1010) working and the mouse at risk of failing or the 1010 not
>>> working.
>>>

>> So what you're saying is, while the M-Audio 1010 is working the ps/2 stuff
>> fails, and when the M-Audio 1010 has stopped working due to
>> suspend/hibernate the PS/2 stuff works fine. Coincidence?
>>
>> I find it odd that anything would interfere with a ps/2 keyboard, since it's
>> on such a low and well known IRQ. Keyboard is 1 and mouse is 12.
>>
>> APIC is enabled in the bios?
>>

> It is odd as PS2 interfaces and 8042's are as old as the hills.
>
> Following your reply I monitored /proc/interrupts (via a remote ssh
> session) and I can see the count of keyboard interrupts rising on CPU2
> and the mouse ones on CPU3. When the failure occurs the counts stop
> rising. If I suspend/resume the machine the count then rises again as
> the PS2 devices are working once more.
>
> So it seems like the 8042 stops interrupting the processor, or the
> processor/apic is ignoring them, or something along those lines. The
> evidence is that keyboard&  mouse cease functioning and the interrupt
> count stops rising.
>
> Noticeable things about this are:-
>
>      * The fault only occurs with X running
>      * Both keyboard and mouse are affected
>      * USB mouse still works
>      * Fault vanishes after suspend/resume
>      * cpu0 has a few interrupts logged and then the count rises on cpu2
>        (keyboard) and cpu3 (mouse)
>
> As far as I can see there are no APIC settings in the BIOS on this
> motherboard
>
> I did notice that one of my two Delta 1010's share an interrupt with the
> video card so I will need to move that card to another slot
>
> xorg.conf includes
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
>       Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>       Driver         "keyboard"
>       Option         "XkbLayout" "gb"
>       Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       # generated from default
>       Identifier     "Mouse0"
>       Driver         "mouse"
>       Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>       Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>       Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>       Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>

> Cat'ing /dev/input/mice produces a stream of characters. I was waiting
> for the system to fail while doing that before sending this message but
> the mouse/keyboard are still working. Its Heisenberg's Uncertainty
> Principle at work.....
>
> Maybe I'll need to brew up some code to log the traffic to the 8042
>
> Anyone else seen this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

As it happens, just after sending the last message the mouse/keyboard
stopped working. Once it had stopped the stream of characters was no
longer available from /dev/input/mice when I use the PS2 mouse. As
before the USB mouse works.

Given what has been said about the 1010, I'll move its slot to try to
get that potential problem out of the way.

Thanks   Ken

believed to be clean.