Hardware for learning graphics.

Unknown arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 7 05:05:52 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 02:31:27 PM, Phatsakone Chanhchom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy computer hardwares and assemble them by myself,
> with installing 64-bit Fedora OS.
>
> My purpose is to learn using gimp, inkscape, blender, scribus etc.
> kinda multimedias stuff.
>
> Can you tell me both minimal and maximal hardware specifications
> (system requirements) that meet my demands.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ricco

Hi Ricco
I use all those every day.
First I would suggest that you use Ubuntu 10.10 not Fedora 14 for the
above.
I use both Fedora 14 and Ubuntu10.10 and much prefer ubuntu for ease of
installing and management.

It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
reccomend it.
The Fedora 3D is not yet able to do good work with Blender.

Build using a gigabyte motherboard
core 2 Duo processor
Nvidia GT8600 or better graphics card.
2 gig ram to start.
250 gig SATA hard drive/s
Power supply, use a very good quality
get a surge protector.
Flat screen monitor Dell 24 inch is great and has very good colour
capability.

There is no benefit in using more than a Core 2 Duo CPU - later cpu's
are not faster and do not offer better capabilities but do consume more
power for no significant advantage.

Core 2 duo has a major advantage in that if and when the cooling fins
or fan get blocked with dust it slows down noticably but will not
explode into flames like other cpu's are known to do when over heated.

Use heat conducting grease between CPU and cooling fins but use alomst
none, just a thin smear , almost invisible.
any more and it will harden and cause overheating.

The above combination should dispaly between 15% and 80% cup usage with
up to 7 windows open and working simultaneously.
Swap space 5 percent usage.
Memory between 15 and 45 percent usage, usually about 20 percent.
So for me the  above computeris over worked and is almost instantaneous
except for inkscape which is very slow to load and glunky to work with.

Hope this helps
Roger