F14 yum update conflict

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:03:19 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 12:15 AM, JD wrote:
> Problem is that Neither the Redhat Fedora repos, nor the other
> two non-redhat fedora repos carry the same wanted apps. So
> your suggestion is not feasible for people that want to use
> mplayer or vlc, to name just two of the very many apps.

So stick to one third party repo instead of atleast stop using
conflicting repos.  Mplayer and vlc are both in RPM Fusion.

> Legal or not, the three ought to coordinate not to clobber each other's
> dependency chains, and version numbers, so that fedora users are
> not cornered into the conundrum I and many other fedora users
> find themselves. I think RH has plenty of clout to bring about such
> coordination without having to resort to any legalese.

Red Hat cannot assume that role since these repos carry software that
Red Hat cannot endorse in anyway. nor is it interested in it.   Fedora
is not a commercial product and majority of software packages are
maintained by volunteers,  be it in the Fedora or thirdy party ones.  If
you find conflicts,  it is just another bug to be reported.

Rahul