F14 yum update conflict

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Apr 7 19:09:13 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 11:45 AM, JD wrote:
> I would further suggest that redhat Fedora repo adopt the apps
> that the other two repos provide, and build them within the confines
> of the the RH fedora repo to eliminate this problem.

Fedora is committed to having nothing in its official repos that has (or
could have) patent issues.  They even took the autocorrect function out
of OpenOffice because there's a patent involved even though the patent
owner hasn't complained.  One of the reasons apps end up in the
third-party repos is because they do have patent issues and aren't
eligible for the official ones.  Under the circumstances, your
suggestion, although good in theory, isn't practical.