USB mouse locks up

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Apr 8 00:08:54 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 01:36 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
> John Mellor wrote:
>> Interesting.  I have the opposite problem on my abit motherboard.  The
>> PS2 mouse happens to work and my preferred USB mouse just locks up about
>> 5 times per day.
>>
>> Is this a known problem with a simple fix?

I had a similar issue with an ASUS mobo with an nVidia chipset.  After
lots of research, the consensus was ensuring that the BIOS on the
motherboard was updated to the latest.  I did that and it still seized
up on me.

More research found that there's some weird hardware glitch in one
specific batch of nVidia chipsets where it just loses interrupts from
the USB ports and video and it's not fixable via software.  I ended up
tossing the mobo out and replacing it.  I can't tell you what the
specific hardware is/was as I no longer have it.