F14 yum update conflict

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:51:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 21:36:20 -0700, JD wrote:

> >> So stick to one third party repo instead of atleast stop using
> >> conflicting repos.  Mplayer and vlc are both in RPM Fusion.
> > It seems the failure is to enable rpmfusion _after_ atrpms.
> >
> > Plus, it's a mistake to install atrpms' "libmad" explicitly instead of
> > letting Yum (or other depsolvers) pull in whatever provides the
> > libmad.so.0 library. At atrpms' it's the "libmad0" package.
> >
> > If one starts with rpmfusion, one gets libmad-0.15.1b-13.fc12, and
> > atrpms' libmad-0.15.1b-4.fc14 loses version comparison: 4<  13
> >
> > [On the contrary, if one starts with atrpms, dependencies on libmad.so.0
> > pull in the "libmad0" package, which conflicts with rpmfusion's libmad
> > pkg. atrpms' libmad package contains no important library.]
> >
> > At rpmfusion, nothing requires the "libmad" package name:
> >
> >    $ repoquery --exactdeps --whatrequires libmad
> >    libmad-0:0.15.1b-13.fc12.i586
> >    libmad-devel-0:0.15.1b-13.fc12.i586
> >
> > So, if nothing at atrpms explicitly requires "libmad0" either, one can
> > stick to rpmfusion's libmad package without ever getting atrpms' libmad0
> > package. Anything that wants libmad.so.0 will be happy with whatever
> > provides that library.
>
> What you say does not make sense re libmad0. To wit:
>
> # rpm -q libmad0
> libmad0-0.15.1b-4.fc14.i686
> # rpm -e libmad0-0.15.1b-4.fc14.i686

Not what I've asked you to do: "rpm -e libmad"
What you tried to do is to erase a package that contains a needed
shared library. That won't work, of course.

> I did not manually and explicitly install libmad0.

No, but libmad.

> Yum resolved the dependencies of the packages you see above.

Then please show the results of

  repoquery --exactdeps --whatrequires libmad

NOT libmad0 (!) and return to what I've written above. The theory is
that if you have just libmad0 and not libmad, you don't have get a conflict.