F14 yum update conflict

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 8 17:24:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 09:14 -0700, JD wrote:

> Looks like after deleting the offending rpm for libmad
> all is well now.
> Yum check shows no problems and yum update shows no problems.

The lesson for all to learn from this thread is that you have to be very
careful when using multiple third-party repos. What I do to avoid this
kind of thing is that only one of the third-party repos is enabled by
default. The other typically has only a few packages in it that I use,
so I enable that one only when I want to update packages that come from
it, and I ask for those packages specifically to prevent lots of
unrelated packages from being dragged in from that repo and confusing
things.

This would not apply to very specialized repos that contain a very small
number of specific packages, such as the Virtual Box repo that contains
only vbox packages, and the Adobe repo that I only have flash-plugin
from and it contains only Adobe packages. Those I can pretty much keep
enabled without causing problems.

--Greg