buut paramerers for seeing the verbose boot process

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Apr 9 00:39:30 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 04:23 PM, JD wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 12:29 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I looked! I have not rhgb and no quiet.

OK, then you have a different problem then.

> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
> to graphics mode. It stays blank  (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
> so I can see what passed and what failed.

Sounds to me like it may be a video related problem with the card
switching modes during boot up.  Do you have a VGA= on your kernel line?

You might try putting a "nomodeset" and see what it does, but that
option is becoming deprecated as the kernel support for various video
cards improves.

What is your video card, and what driver are you expecting to be used.
I ask because Fedora tries real hard to use either nouveau or ati for
nVidia or Radeon cards and you might want to ultimately be using a
proprietary driver (you never know until you ask...).

I would see if I could stop the mode switch so that the screen doesn't
clear.  It sounds to me like the screen re-size is "failing" and you
never see anything else on the screen.

Suvayu's suggestion of looking at the /var/log/dmesg is also useful if
you can find something there that might point a finger, but until then,
see if you can keep the screen stable.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net