Ctrl-Alt-F2 does not work

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 02:17:25 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 04:50 PM, JD wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 03:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> with fc14, have not been able to to switch
>>> to the text console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2
>>> or F3 ...etc, even after latest updates,
>>>
>>> What is the config file that controls that behavior??
>> Check with ps whether the gettys are running.
>>
>> The files that set them up and launch them are
>> "/etc/init/start-ttys.conf" and "/etc/init/tty.conf".

Strange as it may seem: I restored nomodeset back into the boot params
in grub.conf.
Now, Crl-Alt-F[2345...] work as before.
Also, earlier, an OP had suggested I remove the nomodeset, because I was
experiencing
great delays in workspace switching. Well, removing nomodeset did fix
that problem
but introduced the problem with Ctrl-AltF[123456...]  functionality.
This time around, re-introducing nomodeset fixed (or restored) 3
functionalities
I wanted:
1. I can see all the boot activity all the way to when gnome starts.
2. Ctrl-Alt-F... works
3. Workspace switch is now snappy again.

I think this sort of ill explained bhavior of the desktop tells me that
no one really know what's causing what, and why (i.e. no details).