F14: Power Manager: No "On Battery" tab

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Apr 9 03:01:34 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 10:49 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> Well /proc/acpi/battery exists. Not BAT0, there is BAT1, but:
> ls  /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/
> alarm  info  state
>
> cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
> present:                 no
> present:                 no
> present:                 no

That's a bad sign.  Does your laptop "optionally" support a 2nd battery?
If so, that would be BAT1, which shows as not present.  The question is
where is the BAT0 stuff for your primary battery????

> It's a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop. The battery works. But if I unplug
> the power, but the applet icon continues to show just the plug.

Not good, the system can't tell when you are plugged into the mains or
on battery.  It always thinks you are on the mains, and there for never
gives you the battery stuff.  You need to figure out why not.

> And dmesg shows the kernel can't find the battery:
>
> [    0.909451] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
> [    0.910476] ACPI: acpi_idle yielding to intel_idle
> [    0.914884] ERST: Table is not found!
> [    0.914990] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

That looks like a 2nd battery to me (the primary battery should be
BAT0).  I'm still wondering where the first battery is.

> The kernel boot parameters are from the install:
>
>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 ro
> root=UUID=7e1a1084-2795-4511-8d33-0e589af7b6a8 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
> rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us

Nothing related to ACPI or APM.

> Puzzled.

Indeed.  I'd bugzilla it and get the Gnome Power Management maintainer
involved and see what s/he says about it.

I filled out a bugzilla about changing battery sizes while plugged into
the mains, and we came to the conclusion that the Linux ACPI stuff
doesn't rescan the new battery correctly (wrt battery capacity, it kinda
misses the fact that the capacity has changed and things get funky from
there).  Doesn't say they'll find out what wrong, but it helps having
the code maintainers telling us what really is going on....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net