2560x1600 display issue due to copyright issues ?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 9 19:19:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 12:14:13 -0600,
  Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So it seems as though copyright issues prevent graphics card or laptop
> manufacturers from enabling the full bandwidth of an HDMI 1.3 port and
> thus regular users like me from using a U3011 monitor for work purposes.

That should only be if hdcp is used. You don't want to be running that unless
you are forced to. The usual badness is that the setop box or proprietary
media player will down rez its output.

> It should be noted that the member who posted that little tidbit of
> information has answered that question and only that question.  Seems to
> me he is an industry insider.

If you are interested in these kinds of issues you should follow the EFF.
The content industry is always trying to screw with the consumer electronics
industry so that they can get other people to pay for propping up their
business model.