Ctrl-Alt-F2 does not work

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 01:09:36 UTC 2011

On 04/09/2011 04:34 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> KMS-related...
>> "related" does not explain the problem.
>> When it was suggested that I remove kms
>> from the boot params in order to speed up
>> workspace switching, it worked. But Ctrl-Alt-Fn
>> stopped working. re-introducing kms fixes
>> the alt-ctrl-Fn function, but does not slow
>> down workspace switching, and it does let me
>> view the whole boot process. So, give us all
>> a break. No one seems to know how the same
>> "solution" is both the cause of the problem
>> and the solution to the problem.
>>
>> It must be something else!
> No.
>
> I had to look at the archive to understand what you're talking about.
>
> This http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/395222.html
> clearly shows that your VT problem is KMS-related - since adding
> nomodeset to your kernel line killed your VTs.
But I indeed have ADDED it back in, and VT's are still working!!
So that's what I mean. How can removing nomodeset fix the
VT's probelem, adding it back in does not break the VT's - i.e.
they are still working.
All that begs the question: what's the relationship between nomodeset
and Xserver's modus operandi?