USB Thumb Drive Installation

Stephen P Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 12:54:53 UTC 2011

I am considering returning to Red Hat, actually Fedora, after quite a few
years of using SuSE/OpenSUSE.  However, before taking down my main platform,
which my wife uses for surfing, I'd like to test Fedora 14 on my laptop.
This raises another consideration in that I use the laptop for consulting
and don't want to endanger the Win 7 OS.

What I have done is install (transfer(?)) Fedora 14 to a 8GB SanDisk USB
Thumb Drive.  At this point I can boot the laptop from the Thumb Drive and
start the Fedora installer.  I want to install Fedora on the Thumb Drive
without modifying the laptop MS Win 7 boot process.

Now, finally my questions.  The installer gives me the option of installing
Fedora on the following partitions:

/dev/sda1

/dev/sda2

/dev/sdb1

/dev/sdc1

Am I correct in assuming the Thumb Drive is /dev/sdc1?   Will the Win 7 boot
loader be modified by the Fedora installation?

I have attempted searching the list archive without success.  Any assistance
will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                                          Life is a
fuzzy set

Foundation for Chemistry                                         Stochastic
and multivariate

http://www.FoundationForChemistry.com