ssha passwords

Judith Flo Gaya jflo at imppc.org
Tue Apr 12 08:53:04 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm dealing with ldap and after switching to ssha passwords in the
server side, my clients are no longer able to change them passwords
without losing access to the server.
The issue is related to the different hashing methods (server is using
ssha and clients (f14) are using crypt).
Is there any way to force the passwd command to generate ssha hashed
passwords?
I've trying to do it through the authconfig command but seems that I can't.

On the other side I would like to make the users able to login even if
the network fails (i.e the ldap server is unreachable), I've read that
this can be done with nscd but I don't know neither how nor the
implications that this change will produce.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance, it will be very appreciated,
Judith Flo Gaya
Systems Administrator IMPPC
e-mail: jflo at imppc.org
Tel (+34) 93 554-3079
Fax (+34) 93 465-1472

Institut de Medicina Predictiva i Personalitzada del Càncer
Crta Can Ruti, Camí de les Escoles s/n
08916 Badalona, Barcelona,
Spain
http://www.imppc.org