Separate /usr partition

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:10:23 UTC 2011

On 04/12/2011 03:05 AM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Some of the reasons are outlined in
>>
>> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> Thanks very much for that link. It's very informative, and reasonably
> well written, though with a few forgivable grammatical errors.
>
>> Of course, the typical response is argue that, this shouldn't be the
>> case but that is at this point just wishful thinking.

Hi,

So the inconvenients of separate /usr will be apply to separate /var
/var/log and /var/tmp ???

and my reasons by that partitions are minimize file fragmentation and
aallocate only the space necessary with lVM meanwhile separate the files
by use case

/usr programs and supports files
/var/log appending log files
/var/tmp big temporary files

or in the future the only partitions will be /boot / and /home only?

speedy boot times are welcome but in my use case I value more the
separate partittions, I only reboot my F14 machines each 7 days or more,

and I don't need 3G,
I have good Audio after some fight and filing a bug
d-bus, print and plug & play works fine

these things works now in my F14 systems, so really new versions
(incompatible with separate partitions) were developed for F15 ??

Gabriel