Separate /usr partition

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:07:13 UTC 2011

On 04/12/2011 03:38 AM, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com
> <mailto:metherid at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/10/2011 <tel:03%2F10%2F2011> 10:02 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>     > I just noticed that ever since Fedora 11 the Installation Guide
>     > recommends against having a /usr partition separate from the
>     root file
>     > system (though as recently as Fedora 12 the Example Usage still
>     showed a
>     > separate /usr).  I've always used a separate /usr kept mounted
>     read-only
>     > except when necessary for updates.  I was wondering just what
>     sort of
>     > "boot process becomes more complex" issues I've been fortunate
>     enough to
>     > avoid, and whether the reasons for that recommendation have become
>     > stronger in more recent releases.
>
>     Some of the reasons are outlined in
>
>     http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
>     Of course, the typical response is argue that, this shouldn't be the
>     case but that is at this point just wishful thinking.
>

> Only wishful if people are unwilling to reconsider past actions and
> are unwilling
> to consider the necessary changes.  The cause appears lost in
> Fedora/RedHat only
> because 1 or 2 "large voices" seem to consider this a "religious"
> fight and will
> not consider doing anything to fix it.  The attitude that the
> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
> is outmoded and unnecessary and that modern hardware doesn't need to
> keep things
> on separate spindles or take space considerations into account anymore
> belongs
> to these "large voices" in this realm and  therefore it cannot be fixed.
>
> In actuality, only a few pieces need to be moved, but instead major
> surgery was applied
> to move the whole of /usr into / instead of applying a band aid and
> move a few small
> pieces around.
I generally agree.
My reasons for keeping separate /,  /var, and /usr
has been / is  to provide some degree of protection
from corruption to the file system. If all of these were
under /, then a corruption in / would make the other
two also inaccessible. So They indeed ought to be kept
separate for that reason, to minimize loss.

Cheersm

JD