[OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:59:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 08:18 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
>> Sad to say, but if we want 'Joe Average User' to use Linux, we are
>> going to have to dumb it down.
>
> Who says *we* want that to happen, or even *they* want that to happen?
> Is that actually a goal?  When did it become a goal to aim for Linux
> being just another consumer product?

Actually, at this point, the who is those that want to make MONEY with
Linux and pry folks away from Windows.  What we say/do really does not
make a difference.

> Is it even an achievable goal, or even a desirable thing to attempt to
> do?  History has shown that when you dumb down computers to the point
> where stupid people can use them, they do stupid things with them.

And that is very true.  This is happening all over the place.

> Why does everything have to get dragged down to that level?  There's no
> point in being another Windows clone, just use Windows if you want that
> level of crap.

The fact that things are being dragged down to that level shows that
folks do not want Linux to remain a 'niche' product and to add to the
bottom line.  This is happening everywhere.  RedHat does not and
should not exist just for our pleasure, but to enrichen those who have
financally supported them.

> Good grief, I use Linux, and so do many others, precisely because we
> don't want to use crap like Windows.  It's not just an issue of the
> dollar cost of using it, but the huge amount of time wasting Windows
> inflicts upon you, the unstableness, it shooting itself in the foot, the
> sheer and utter stupidity of its design basis.

Linux is a stable operating environment, so is MacOSX.  Why do you
think I use them?  Windows is not because of its design, not the fancy
window dressing.  Changes to the window do not change the house that
surrounds it.  Remember, we have many window designs, the folks using
Windows don't.

> If you want an example of what not to do with computing, Windows is
> *the* example of the worst possible way that you could ever do it.
> Don't copy it.

Again, Windows has many, many flaws that would require a complete
rebuild.  Linux does not.  Hiding 'killer' things away from stupid
users is a noble jesture.  Apple did this and they are making a
killing in the marketplace.  Yes, there are those of us that know what
goes on 'under the hood' and I would not recommend that Joe User even
try half of the stuff I do.  If we are skilled at what we do, we
should be able to do it, but if you are not, you should not.  Gnome3
and KDE4 realize that.  We can sit here and argue all day about this,
but GNOME3 is complete as far as the design team is concerned and it
is what THEY want.  Remember if we want Linux to move forward, we are
going to have to take into account the ID10T factor.  Yes, there
should be a 'experienced' user version, and maybe the GNOME folks will
realize this, sometime in the future.  But for now, the WM meets their
needs and requirements.

James McKenzie