rpmbuild question

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 04:10:15 UTC 2011

On 04/12/2011 07:40 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On F14, - with latest updates as of an hour ago.
>>
>> Whenever I try to build a package from source rpm,
>> using rpmbuild, I get scrolling output like:
>>
>> error: Recursion depth(17) greater than max(16)
>>   15<                                 (empty)
>>   14<                               /lib/modules/
>>   13<                             (empty)
>>   12<                           (empty)
>>   11<                         (empty)
>>   10<                       (empty)
>>    9<                     (empty)
>>    8<                   (empty)
>>    7<                 (empty)
>>    6<               %{_kpkgname}-kmdl--debuginfo"
>>    5<             debuginfo
>>    5<             jjack
>>    8<                   %{_kpkgname}" = "%{_kpkgname}"&&  echo 1 || e...
>>    7<                 1
>>   14<                               grep -i fedora.core /etc/redhat-r...
>>   13<                             f
>>   14<                               %{VERSION}' /etc/redhat-release |...
>>   13<                             14
>>   12<                           14 | sed -e's,\.,_,g'
>>   11<                         f14
>>   10<                       f14
>>

>> It seems harmless in the sense that the build completes.
>>
>> Does anyone know what's causing it, and h ow to fix it?
> No clue... but you might try reposting to the devel list to improve
> your chances of getting an answer.
>
> If I saw that on my system I would try "yum reinstall rpmbuild" first.
>
> Richard
I ran
# yum reinstall rpm-build
and it got reinstalled.
It did not fix the problem.
Someone (some time ago) had said the problem
is in the file /usr/lib/rpm/macros
which is installed by the rpm package itself.
So, I re-installed rpm also. To no avail.
Not sure I want to bother with the dev list because
if it is not just my machine, then they very likely
know about it.