Problem Booting from USB HD

Stephen P Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 13 12:12:23 UTC 2011

I have a HP Pavillion 9000 Laptop with PheonixBIOS v. F.09.

Yesterday I successfully installed Fedora v14 on a 1GB USB External Hard
Drive.  Before the installation I reset the Boot Order to:

1.       USB Hard Drive  (Fedora 14)

2.        CD/DVD ROM Drive

3.        Netbook Hard Drive (MS Win 7 Pro)

4.        USB Floppy

5.        USB Diskette on key

When the Fedora installer rebooted the system, the laptop booted into MS
Windows 7 Professional (the OS installed on the Netbook Hard Drive).  When I
attempted to reboot I think that I hit F8 during the early stage of the
reboot and Fedora booted with no action from the led indicator for the
Netbook HD.  Great I thought finished the installation and shut the computer
down with the Fedora shutdown option.

This morning when I booted the computer with the External HD running the
machine booted into Win 7.  Now, the boot order is the same as I set it in
the BIOS, but the Boot Menu only has two options:  2 and 3 (in that order).
This, of course explains why the computer boots into MS Win7.

Finally, the question"

                What's going on here, and how do I get Fedora to run?

Assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.