Separate /usr partition

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 13 18:06:47 UTC 2011

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>  On 04/12/2011 01:35 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>  Of course, the typical response is argue that, this shouldn't be the
> case but that is at this point just wishful thinking.
>
>  Not on my machine.
>
> $ egrep 'usb-db|pci-db|FROM_DATABASE|/usr' /*/udev/rules.d/*
> egrep: /*/udev/rules.d/*: No such file or directory
>
>  Your system is not relevant to the broader discussion.  This isn't about
> individual systems and guidelines are not written for that.

It's true that my /machine/ is not relevant here. However, my /attitude/
is. I don't accept changes uncritically.

> So, what you are saying is that things are broken, and nobody at Red Hat
> wants to do anything about it, simply because nobody did the necessary
> thought and effort before making changes, and now it's "too late".
>

> Nope.  I didn't say that and majority of changes in the open source world

Ok, that's my perception. If that isn't what you meant, then what did
you mean?

Is there anyone at Red Hat who intends to take any action about this?

Why or why not?

Is the cause for this situation being addressed for future growth
planning?

I think these are questions which some of those who use Red Hat products
would like to know.

> happen because of individuals.

This I agree with.

> Not vendors.   If people care enough about

This I don't agree with. Red Hat does not have to accept upstream
changes meekly. The changes which happen to Red Hat products occur
because Red Hat incorporates them, not because of upstream providers.
It's Red Hat's decision what goes into everything it produces.

I'm not saying that Red Hat (or any other vendor) is responsible for
the changes from upstream. However, all vendors are responsible for
making the decisions about what to incorporate.

> something, step up and fix the software or pay a vendor to do it for you.

Err, Red Hat _is_ being paid to fix software, or at least refuse to
accept upstream changes w/o insisiting upon modifications, by those
who purchase RHEL. Does RHEL have this (at least perceived) problem?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.