Guidelines for a noob

Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus aradnix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:22:20 UTC 2011

Hi everybody:

Yesterday I installed Fedora14 on an old Dell PC (an Optiplex G260) enhanced
with 2 GB in RAM. All is working OK, but I have few doubts yet. Before
continue with this I want to specify two things:

First, I have a little experience inside the gnu/linux distributions,
actually I come from the Ubuntu distribution with all the debianic habits
for use a linux system.

Second: I'm reading the basic documentation about fedora14.

OK, so I installed Fedora 14 for run few libraries for an academic project
inside I'm wornking at my University, actually everything runs beautiful
inside Fedora14 (I had few troubles with Ubuntu and  I was working a long
time for fix them), perhaps later I can relate you about it.

And as I told you, coming from Ubuntu I feel like nude, like a noob without
the APT and all those options that made me very easy the life inside Ubuntu.
I don't know if there is a guide for start fedora coming from debian or
something else. In fact the option apt-get update was very useful for me.

And this take us at my following doubt: There is a mirror or repository from
where I can download upgrades, packages and all that stuff? Again with
Ubuntu, inside my country I can choose two different repositories from where
I can download almost everything, in fact one of them is inside my
University :) so the upgrade is amazing fast.

Yesterday was boring to wait hours for the needed upgrade and for install
few packages, perhaps a repository nearer will make this easier.

Finally my biggest problem now is how to use the YUM, I need you helping for
install the flash plug-ins, the LibreOffice suite and that kind of things...
of course I know I must start a new thread for each one, now simply I'm
relating what I wanna do.

Thinking that perhaps someone can advice me to go back the debian and Ubuntu
world, I prefer to improve my experience inside the gnu/linux world testing
one of the most popular distros, and the world of the red hat, where the rpm
packages are the standard.

Thanks for you time and helping:
Aradnix