Separate /usr partition

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Wed Apr 13 21:00:38 UTC 2011

If possible, I'd like to jump in on this conversation about a separate
/usr partition.  I work for a large corporation and we run multiple
platforms (AIX, HP-UX, RHEL, Solaris) and most, if not all, of our servers
not only have separate partitions, but separate file systems. If you are
using LVM, the use of separate file systems make for much easier space
management ( if /usr starts to run out of space, we get alerted and all we
have to do is extend the /usr logical volume). On RHEL, the default disk
definition is /boot; / (root); and swap. So we just took it one step
further and split up  the root directory and file system. And by splitting
it up, you can put the different file systems on different disk
allocations (raid-0; raid-1; raid-5; etc.) depending on their uses.  If
you take the default disk definitions and then add, say, oracle database
you get oracle mixed in with the OS.  Is this something you really want?

This also allows you to move file systems to SAN devices without an
outage, under VMware.

Thanks,
Gene Poole