Ace Aspire One And New Broadcom Drivers

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:21:20 UTC 2011

I just got an Acer Aspire One and threw Fedora 15 Alpha on it.  This
is a good thing as, according to
linuxwireless.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211 says that my wifi chip is
in the 2.6.38 kernel.  That page tells me to d/l some firmware files
to a specific directory.  I went there and those files are already
there.  But I don't have any wireless configured.

The system only sees em1 and lo if I do an iwconfig and em1 is the ethernet.
lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0510]

so the system can see the hardware.  Why is it not loading?  Is there
another step I'm missing?

Thanks!

Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com