How to access my BlackBerry

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 01:32:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 23:19 +0100, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> On 13 April 2011 21:26, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 20:17 +0100, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> >> Sdb is where my BlackBerry is attached, but it doesn't seem to work.
> >>
> >> [root at edge ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
> >> [root at edge ~]# mount /dev/sdb /mnt/0
> >> mount: no medium found on /dev/sdb
> >> [root at edge ~]# dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmp/bb count=1
> >> dd: opening `/dev/sdb': No medium found
> >
> > /dev/sdb is the device, /dev/sdb1 is the first partition. You need to
> > mount the partition, not the device.
>
> But fdisk -l /dev/sdb produced not output and dd & mount said No medium found.
>
> There aren't any partitions devices to mount.
>
>  [root at edge ~]# ls -l /dev/sdb*
> brw-rw----. 1 root disk 8, 16 Apr 13 22:43 /dev/sdb
> [root at edge ~]# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/0
> mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

I just tried this with my BB 8520. I plugged in the BB, got a pop-up on
the phone asking if I wanted Mass Storage mode, confirmed it, got the
KDE Device Manager pop-up, clicked appropriately and duly saw the BB
mounted as /media/BLACKBERRY, with an interesting set of subdirectories.

The device logged by dmesg was /dev/sdc1.

poc