Guidelines for a noob

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Apr 14 16:00:22 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:22:20 PM Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus wrote:
> Yesterday was boring to wait hours for the needed upgrade and for install
> few packages, perhaps a repository nearer will make this easier.

There are a couple of yum plugins that can help you.

The first, fastest-mirror, will help chose a mirror that is likely the fewest hops away from you.

The second is yum-presto.  With presto enabled, yum becomes able to work with delta rpms; this means whole packages don't have to be downloaded, just delta packages, which are typically much smaller.  The debian apt program doesn't yet have this feature.

I much prefer yum, even after using apt for a number of years professionally, since yum allows a few things things apt does not do ('list' being one of the more useful).

So, 'yum install yum-presto yum-plugin-fastestmirror' and have fun.