How to tell yum to exclude updating a package

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:15:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:49:48 -0700, J wrote:

> On 04/14/2011 03:53 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Found out the syntax to insert into the .repo file is
> >>
> >> exclude=pkg1 pkg2 pkg3... etc
> > Do you need libmad-devel for compiling software? Else remove it. It is not
> > needed at run-time.
> I need libmad, because several media apps need
> /usr/lib/libmad.so.0.2.1

I've told you before that you don't need libmad, but _any_ package that
provides 'libmad.so.0.2.1' (not the file but the library SONAME). For
atrpms, the package that provides it is called 'libmad0'.

> I just did not want the same lib from rpmfusion to
> be used by yum as an update to the one from
> atrpms.
> Now I know how to exclude packages.

"libmad" from rpmfusion is only pulled in because you have installed
libmad-devel. If you don't need libmad-devel (and you sound as if you
don't need it), erase it, and this particular dependency problem is
gone.