When are we going to see some newer kernels ?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Apr 15 17:08:55 UTC 2011

On 04/15/2011 10:24 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> $ uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Feb 7
> 06:57:55 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Am I missing something or is this the latest F14 kernel available ?
> When are we going to see some newer kernels ?
>
> Thanks
>
> LG

Fedora releases usually don't update major kernel numbers.  The idea is
to start a release as near current as reasonable and then patch that up
as it goes go along.

Sometimes there are kernel issues that are addressed in a major revision
that cannot be back ported, and it has happened that a Fedora release
gets new major revisions early on.

Considering the frequency of Fedora releases, you can understand that at
some point after release the kernel major number becomes 'fixed' in
order to allow the next release to pick up the latest version.

Fedora 15 is currently at: 2.6.38.2-9.fc15.x86_64

Depending upon several things, it may be possible to see a 2.6.39
release in F15, but probably no higher than that.

Does this make sense?

Its a whole lot of work to get all of the Fedora/RH patches lined up for
any given 2.6.XX release.

It is much more manageable to go into maintenance mode after a major
Fedora release, and limit kernel patches to security and performance
enhancements.  This also helps clarify what kinds of things should go
upstream.

I would bet very strongly against a > 2.6.35 kernel for Fedora 14 at
this point.

Good Luck!