snd_hda_intel clobbers pcspkr

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 17:31:52 UTC 2011

updog wrote:
> Independently pcspkr works fine for the PC speaker, and snd_hda_intel
> for the internal speakers, however the two modules don't work
> together. Loading snd_hda_intel after pcspkr is in and working causes
> loss of the terminal beep.
>
> It's a problem in FC13; not sure about older releases or FC14.

What happens if you switch to a text-mode terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2, or
reboot in init level 3) and get the terminal to beep?

Are you sure that the terminal you usually use isn’t trying to use
modern sound hardware if it’s available (so we can have MP3 ringtone
beeps instead of 1970s beeps)?

*Which* terminal, anyway? There are at least seven I can think of.

Hope this helps,

James (who turns all the beeps off).

--
E-mail:     james@ | The winds, however, get very lazy that time of year; they
aprilcottage.co.uk | don't bother going around you, they just go right on