Upgrade Fedora 6 to 14 (remotely)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Apr 15 20:06:41 UTC 2011

On 04/15/2011 12:48 PM, Dante Conti wrote:
> Is it possible to remotely upgrade a server running Fedora 6 to Fedora
> 14 (or 15)? If yes, should I use PreUpgrade?
>
> Thank you for any help you can provide.
>
> --Dante

No.  FC 6 is now eight versions out of date and current versions of
Fedora have changed so much that it's highly unlikely that an upgrade of
that nature is going to come remotely near succeeding.  Current opinion
is that you should never skip more than one version in upgrading and I
doubt that you could find an archive of Fedora 8 or 10, although 12
might just be available.  Even if you tried, I don't know if preupgrade
would install or run on such an ancient version.  Your best bet is to
back up all of your data, and do a clean installation of Fedora 14.