Upgrade Fedora 6 to 14 (remotely)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Apr 15 21:44:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:38:43 -0400
Dante Conti <dante.conti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Thank you for the quick answer. I know that Fedora 6 is very old (and
> no longer supported), but -- amazingly -- this is what the hosting
> provider just installed on the server. I don't have any data that I
> care about at this time, but I can only access the server remotely. If
> I download the new version and start the installation from within
> Fedora 6, while remotely logged in, I will obviously lose the
> connection when the server is rebooted, without any possibility of
> reconnection without the vendor's (local) help ($$$).

That would explain why they installed Fedora 6 8)

If a provider rolled out Fedora 6 on a data centre box for me I'd refuse
to have anything further to do with them, including paying them.

You can go from 6 to 14, but you need to do it by several releases on the
way and in a couple of cases you pretty much need local access.

We've got a box that has gone from RH7 or so to Fedora 14 but that was
over the years and no way would I do it for a new install - it would be
cheaper to go somewhere else.