Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Sun Apr 17 01:14:01 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years, and I am increasingly
unhappy with it. I dislike the Ubuntu One integration, I think upstart
is irritating, and I am sick of my bug reports vegetating forever in
Launchpad. Therefore I want to switch distributions, and I have already
narrowed it down to either Debian unstable or Fedora (but a release, not
rawhide).

Unfortunately I have a hard time deciding between the two, because I am
very much biased by the fact that I have already used Debian in the past
and a lot of experience with it. So I invariably come up with random
nice Debian features which then turn out not to exist in Fedora. But on
the other hand, all the nice Fedora features that Debian can't offer are
unknown to me.

Hence, to allow me to make a good decision, I would be very happy to
hear about your favorite Fedora feature that I would totally miss if I
went with Debian.

Just to be clear: I am *not* interested in starting a Debian vs Fedora
thread here. So am only asking for your pro-fedora points, so there
shouldn't even be the possibility of a flamewar :-).

Best,

   -Nikolaus