Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 03:07:11 UTC 2011

Hi Nikolaus,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
> Hence, to allow me to make a good decision, I would be very happy to
> hear about your favorite Fedora feature that I would totally miss if I
> went with Debian.

I don't exactly knwo what Debian unstable offers these days, but here is
my take on this.

1. Python 3 - can be installed parallel to Python 2.6
   + Support for Python specific commands within gdb
2. I have used Ubuntu for couple of years at the university, but I
   prefer rpm/yum over dpkg/apt/aptitude
3. Newer kernels
   + 2.6.38 for F15
   + 2.6.35 for F14
   + 2.6.34 for F13
4. Compared to Ubuntu, I feel the quality control on packages are higher
   in Fedora. I have very little experience with Debian, but from my few
   months of trying it out, although better than Ubuntu I found it
   lacking compared to Fedora.
5. Many others might debate this, but I feel more secure with SELinux
   set to enforce. I feel Fedora integrates SELinux much better than any
   other distro.
6. Again debatable, but I like LVMs. Not sure how good the support is in
   Debian.
7. Possibility to test bleeding edge technologies like the btrfs
   filesystem
8. Although the ppa system is nice, but I find the community
   repositories available for Fedora have a higher packaging standard
   and are in general more reliable.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu