Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Guilherme Patriota guilhermeptrr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 04:03:40 UTC 2011

On 17 April 2011 01:14, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Hence, to allow me to make a good decision, I would be very happy to
> hear about your favorite Fedora feature that I would totally miss if I
> went with Debian.
>

> Just to be clear: I am *not* interested in starting a Debian vs Fedora
> thread here. So am only asking for your pro-fedora points, so there
> shouldn't even be the possibility of a flamewar :-).

Sorry for the other e-mail, somehow I clicked at Send.

In my opinion Debian is more of a stable system, thereof more used as a
server I think. I don't know what Debian unstable has in their repos, but
the stable releases of Fedora themselves use pretty recent software
versions, not to mention rawhide.
Debian's install is pretty simple and with it installed, there's only a few
programs which were installed with it. That's good in some ways but a bit
tough in other ways. Even if apt-get recognizes a lot of dependencies for
simple programs, I think perhaps it may not detect some that may give normal
functionality, one example that occurred while I was using devede with Arch
Linux(pretty simple installl as well):
pacman installed it with the dependencies all ok but it lacked the audio
functionality and video converting. None of the files were able to be
playable with the DVD, it worked in the PC but somehow some libraries wasn't
installed at all for the complete functionality but only the required ones
to have it properly installed.

One of the things I like in Fedora (I don't know if it's with Debain as
well) is that it has already installed a bunch of useful libraries etc., to
work on with most of the software you may install, that includes
configuration GUI's as well. Having to search for such things when you
really need to play something or work with an software that doesn't work at
the moment is a bit tough and stressful, that's one of the good things I
persoanlly like in Fedora and a bit difficult thing to deal with stable
distros like that.

I also think many people use Debian as a desktop, but that's because they
like the system and it suis their needs, if Debian or Fedora suits yours, I
don't know, why don't try both?