Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Apr 17 13:40:14 UTC 2011

Hi Nikolaus

I'm thinking that you could make yourself a list of what apps you would
like to have and another of what apps you really need to do your thing
for both and compare. I have not found the problem you mention, of apps
for one that are not on another.

I was a Fedora user since Red Hat 6.5 and about 18 months ago switched
to Ubuntu 10 which does everything I need, then came Fedora 14 so I
loaded it onto another hard drive and am quite chuffed because I have
the best of both worlds.
For me there is almost nothing to pick between them, I enjoy the
differences particularly with trying to set up multi install in Drupal
and SELinux on Fedora 14
Be warned, in Fedora you will get many, many SELinux reports until you
teach it what is acceptable to you and what is not.
That for me was a nuisance.

I have never bothered with Ubuntu one, in my reckoning that technology
is still new enough to be avoided unless one knows what one is doing and
has strong reasons for using it, I don't.

Roger