rsync from mirror - problem

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:04:32 UTC 2011

On 04/17/2011 08:33 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

>   For the last couple of days or so - my mirror script (I tried a couple
> of mirror sites) seems to keep deleting everything and re-downloading
> each time it runs ...
>
>   Mirror script keeps a local copy from which I update all my machines
> here. It runs
>
>    rsync -avz --delete --delete-excluded --hard-links
>
> along with a bunch of excludes.
>
>   Anyone else seeing these kind of problems or is it some weird
> filesystem bug on my server?

Hi,

and what filesystem have your server???

maybe this parameter from man rsync helps you:

--modify-window
               When comparing two timestamps, rsync treats the
timestamps as  being equal  if they differ by no more than the
modify-window value.  This is normally 0 (for an exact match), but you
may find  it  useful  to set  this to a larger value in some situations.
  In particular, when transferring to or from an MS Windows FAT
filesystem  (which  represents times with a 2-second resolution),
--modify-window=1 is useful (allowing times to differ by up to 1 second).

I saw the above behaviour backing up a NTFS filesystem too (instead of FAT)

so try adding the parameter with =1 or =2 solve your problem,

so I don't remember if the above behaviour is present when the two
machines have differents time (one of them don't have a ntp running or
it didn't work properly) (different timezone is fine but the time maybe
isn't accurate in his respective timezone)

Gabriel