Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Apr 18 13:01:00 UTC 2011

Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> writes:
> Hi Nikolaus
>
> I'm thinking that you could make yourself a list of what apps you would
> like to have and another of what apps you really need to do your thing
> for both and compare. I have not found the problem you mention, of apps
> for one that are not on another.

I am not talking about apps, I am talking about things like:

- ability to install completely on LVM (including /boot)
- tracking of packages that were manually installed vs packages that
  were only installed to satisfy dependences
- 3-way merge of changed configuration files on package upgrade
- ability to do release upgrades live on a running system
- excellent automated grub2 setup (os-prober)

Nothing of this is really essential, but these are nice Debian features
that Fedora apparenttly doesn't have. Now I would like to know about
stuff comparable to this that Fedora has, but Debian hasn't (I'm sure
there are many).

Best,

   -Nikolaus