rsync from mirror - problem

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Apr 18 13:19:50 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 08:04 AM, Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

> and what filesystem have your server???

   ext3

> maybe this parameter from man rsync helps you:
>
> --modify-window
>                When comparing two timestamps, rsync treats the
> timestamps as  being equal  if they differ by no more than the
> modify-window value.  This is normally 0 (for an exact match), but you
> may find  it  useful  to set  this to a larger value in some situations.
>   In particular, when transferring to or from an MS Windows FAT
> filesystem  (which  represents times with a 2-second resolution),
> --modify-window=1 is useful (allowing times to differ by up to 1 second).
>
> I saw the above behaviour backing up a NTFS filesystem too (instead of FAT)
>
> so try adding the parameter with =1 or =2 solve your problem,

  Possibly - except if it was a time stamp issue - why would it delete
the file - that should trigger a check and the file contents would be
checksummed for each rsync block - it should not trigger a delete
followed by a download I wouldn't think.

  I did actually double check that ntp was working correctly and that
the time matched the correct time on http://www.time.gov/widget.html.

  I was worried about file system corruption - nothing in the logs
indicate a problem. Its a raid 5 config with 2 hot spares over 5 disks.

   Root/boot are on a different disk.

   Thanks for your thoughts ...