rsync from mirror - problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 18 19:50:26 UTC 2011

Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 04/17/2011 09:33 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
>>   For the last couple of days or so - my mirror script (I tried a couple
>> of mirror sites) seems to keep deleting everything and re-downloading
>> each time it runs ...
>>
>>   Mirror script keeps a local copy from which I update all my machines
>> here. It runs
>>
>>    rsync -avz --delete --delete-excluded --hard-links
>>

>   Anyone got any ideas why rsync might keep deleting and re-downloading?
> (using kernel.org mirror at the moment).

No, what options are you using to rsync. I do a similar thing, but selectively
to save bandwidth. I copy stuff with the -aSH options, for various things I keep
copied. There is a CRC option, but you shouldn't need it.

You might look at ctime and mtime before and after, it is possible that what you
are copying is actually getting a "touch" due to a script error at the source.
Not the most likely thing, but I mention it because I mirror a site which does a
copy of a tree without preserving mtime, and it behaves as if every file changes
between 2-3am local time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>