rsync from mirror - problem

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:53:31 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 08:19 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 04/18/2011 08:04 AM, Gabriel Ramirez wrote:
>
>> and what filesystem have your server???
>
>     ext3
>
>    Possibly - except if it was a time stamp issue - why would it delete
> the file - that should trigger a check and the file contents would be
> checksummed for each rsync block - it should not trigger a delete
> followed by a download I wouldn't think.

well rsync as I far know (I'm only a user of it)  don't have the
behavior you describe, if the timestamp differs in microseconds rsync
(maybe to be quick) don't bother to check for checksums or filesizes at
least with -av flags, so with the flag --modify-window loose a little
the timestamp comparisons

but ext3 don't have that problem , at least that's my experience, but
maybe doing  ls -l --full-time before and after the transfer shows some
light about the problem

or try to save some file to another location run again a limited rsync
and compare the files (or try checkingwith a md5 signature text file in
the server) but if them are different maybe one stick of RAM is failing,
I have a problem like that after some succesfull runs rsync but always
the md5 failed when checked manually and the problem was a failed RAM
module (the machine passed the bios test every time , but memtest86
detected the faulty module

Gabriel