F14: Latest virt-manager 0.8.7-2 fills message log

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 11:32:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

The latest update to virt-manager, release 0.8.7-2.fc14, introduced some
problem I didn't have before.  For some reason my message logs are
fiulled up with messages like this:

  libvirtd: 13:13:38.083: error : interfaceGetXMLDesc:355 : internal error
  could not get interface XML description (netcf: NETLINK socket operation
  failed - couldn't find ifindex for interface `br0:1`)

As soon as virt-manager runs, this message fills up the message log
pretty fast, one message per second.

Yes, I have an interface br0:1, but it's not used by any of the virtual
machines and it's not mentioned in any configuration so I have no idea
why virt-manager is suddenly keen to get hold of the interface.  None of
the older virt-manager versions I used so far has shown any interest in
this interface, nor did any of them log such a message.

I even tried to add this interface to the libvirt configuration, but
the GUI doesn't accept an interface with a colon in its name.

So, what I did for now is to downgrade virt-mananger to version
0.8.5-1.fc14, but I would be more confident if I

1) knew why this message is geenrated now and
2) how to avoid it.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Corinna