Suspend fails on F14

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at
Wed Apr 20 15:30:51 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I run Fedora 14 on a HP Probook 4510s, and I have been having the
following problem on Fedora 12 as well. I have filed a bug report about
it, but since it is still open, I was wondering if anybody has any
advice on how to work around it?

The bug report in its entirety can be found here:

The text of the bug description is included here.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Description of problem:

This bug is similar in effect to #649103
(, however, it differs in
the following ways:

1. The system can still shutdown properly 100% of the time. Hibernate has not
been extensively tested.
2. Different hardware is being used.
3. Suspend still works sometimes, but it seems go into hard freeze at random.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Fedora 14, latest updates as of February 6.

How reproducible:
Should be reproducible on a mint system.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start system, login
2. attempt to suspend in any way
3. --

Actual results:
Sometimes (about 50/50 chance of occurence), the system will go into hard
freeze when trying to suspend. It manifests in one of two ways:
1. The standard shutdown/suspend screen (fedora logo on a blue backround) stays
2. Screen goes black indefinetly.

In both cases, the only know resolution is a hard reset. No input devices

Expected results:
The system should go into suspend, and wake up again when powerbutton is

Additional info:
I remember having the exact same problem with Fedora 12 back in the day. The
problem persists after a fresh reinstallation, with or without updates.