Desktop effects issue...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 21 01:20:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 11:45 -0500, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> How come I can create an entirely fresh user account, log into KDE and
> enable Desktop effects, but when I move my main user account's ~/.kde
> directory to a different name and attempt to log in, I cannot enable
> Desktop effects?

While you may see files as being owned by yourself based on the
username, the system sees them based on the numeric user ID.  The files
owner ID has to be the same ID as the log-on.

You can see which user ID owns the files with: "ls -n"

When you moved files, did you change ownership?  When you created the
new user, did you set the user ID appropriately?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.