Problem with atheros ar5008 wifi card

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 03:04:33 UTC 2011

I have an Atheros AR5008 (AR5416 / AR2133 chipset) mini-pci (32 bit)
wifi card.

If I boot into Fedora, with any of the kernels
kernel-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686
kernel-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.i686

Or mainline kernels:
linux-2.6.36.x
linux-2.6.37.x
linux-2.6.38.x

I see this output during boot
ath: Failed to stop TX DMA in 100 msec after killing last frame
and even after boot (while logged in to the main console as root).

So, the wlan0 device is never available. Ath9k driver is loaded.
But no wlan0 device.

So, what I do in order to fix the problem is to boot into
windows (xp), bring up the card, and reboot  into linux,
and then the card works. This has been going on for several
days now, and I have no idea what might be causing this.

If you need more data, please let me know.

Cheers,

JD