dhcpd gateway settings

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:13:18 UTC 2011

On 23 April 2011 02:20, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Aaron Gray:
> > I want the laptop to serve as a gateway between the 192.168.0.x and
> > 192.168.1.x subnets, so it can serve BOOTP and TFTP to provide PXE
> > booting for diskless servers.
>
> It doesn't *have* to be the gateway to do that.  It can merely be a
> server on the LAN.

It needs to be a DHCP server to serve the BOOTP protocol. Also I need to
access HTTP to do netboot.

> The only thing that has to be a gateway is that which sits between the
> two halves of the network.  And I do mean *between*, as it's an
> obstacle, not just something else on the same network.
>
> If the computers on the 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 subnets are actually
> sharing a switch/router where they can directly talk to each other, then
> they don't need something acting as a gateway.  And you could change the
> netmask to 255.255.0.0.

Yes but it would not be separately serving DHCP on 192.168.1.x.

> It all depends on whether you're trying to enforce a segregation, or
> just get two different IP address ranges communicating together.

Just to allow 192.168.1.x to have access to the internet.

> James Wilkinson:
> >> If, on the other hand, you’ve got a separate router (say an ADSL
> >> router), then what you’ve got is something like this:
> >>
> >> Internet <—–> router <—–> 192.168.1/24 <—–> laptop <—–192.168.0/24
>
> > yep, but all on one physical network.
>
> I have to wonder why do you want 192.168.XXX. subnetting, then?
>
> If it's not actually separated by hardware, you can't *enforce* separate
> networks just by putting in different IPs.

I am not too worried about that its a temporary thing just to allow PXE
booting.

> >> What you need to do is to tell everything on 192.168.1/24 to use a
> >> static route: packets to 192.168.0/24 should go to the laptop’s IP
> >> address.
>
> > ?
>
> Anything on the 192.168.0 subnet has to go through the 192.168.0
> gateway, and *that* gateway has to have access to whatever it needs
> (e.g. the WWW, if necessary).

Yep.

Likewise, everything on the 192.168.1 subnet has to go through the
> 192.168.1 gateway, and *that* gateway has to have access to whatever it
> needs (e.g. the WWW, if necessary).

This is what I need to know how to set up.

> It gets complicated if one of the gateways has to go through the other.
>
> >> You might find it easier to get this working with static IP addresses
> >> first, then replicate that with DHCP.
>
> > I need DHCP to serve the BOOTP protocol, so static IP's other than the
> > laptops don't really help.
>
> In general, you give all your servers (computers, routers, whatever)
> fixed IPs, and one of them doles out the dynamic ones ones.  So, I'm
> presuming you've already done that.
>
> Now, to test that your network actually works, before bashing your head
> against a brick wall in configuring your DHCP/BOOTP servers, try
> configuring some clients, by hand, with static IPs, and check that they
> actually work.  If they don't, you've got a networking issue to resolve,
> first.  If they do, it's only your DHCP/BOOTP servers you need to fix.

Yep.

Thanks,

Aaron